A shower curtain liner will keep the water from spilling all over your floor tiles and protect your shower curtains from mildew and mold buildups. But did you know that the best shower curtain liner can act as a shower curtain as well?
The Best Shower Curtain Liners
Read the following article to see which are the best 6 shower curtain liners on the market in 2022, and learn all their pros and cons.
Don’t know which features are good in a shower curtain liner and which you should avoid? No problem, we’re here to help. Read our short buying guide to find out which are materials used for shower liners, and which are the advantages and the disadvantages of each of them.
We further explain which are the accessories a good shower curtain liner should have, and how to clean and maintain a liner once you bought it, so you can use it for years to come.
Top 6 Best Shower Curtain Liner Reviews
PEVA 3G Shower Curtain Liner
This shower curtain liner is made out of 100% PEVA material, and it’s PVC-free. The material is non-toxic and does not release any chemical smell.
The shower curtain liner is water-repellent and resistant to bacteria. This will eliminate the possibility of mold and mildew growing on it. The curtain liner is easy to clean and maintain, and you only need to wipe it with a clean damp rag every once in a while.
The bottom hem of the shower curtain liner has magnets that provide weight and increased stability, keeping the curtain liner close to the shower so the chances of water reaching the floor will be minimum.
- Transparent – A transparent shower curtain liner won’t impede the light from reaching inside the shower which is a great advantage, especially if you use a darker shower curtain.
- Has Magnets – This liner comes with three magnets sewn into the bottom hem. The magnets will keep the liner from flapping around.
- Holes Are Not Reinforced – This liner’s holes are not reinforced. You have to poke out the plastic from the holes before mounting the liner on the rings, and the holes can eventually tear or rip when you pull the liner.
InterDesign PEVA Shower Liner
This is one of the best-selling models of shower liners in 2022. The liner comes in different colors, but we recommend choosing the clear model, especially if you’re using thicker, darker shower curtains.
The shower liner was specially designed to protect your shower curtains from water, so it’s water repellent and protects against the growth of mold and mildew as well. The liner has a 100% PEVA composition, and it’s PVC-free.
The material used for this shower liner is odorless and easy to care for, and you can clean it with a simple wet rug.
- Grommets And Magnets – The top hem of the liner has reinforced grommets, and the bottom hem has magnets sewn into it for increased stability. The grommets will protect the liner from rips and tears, while the magnets will keep it in place.
- Not Too Lightweight – The magnets at the bottom of the liner will keep it in place, so you won’t have any problems with the liner moving because of drafts.
- Quality Varies – The quality of this product varies by a great margin. Some people are very satisfied with the product, while others are very disappointed in it. Some fakes might have been involved.
Utopia Bedding Waterproof Liner
This is one of the best-rated shower liner models available on the market today. The shower curtain liner is designed to fit a standard-sized shower, and it’s 100% waterproof.
The shower liner is made out of heavy-duty anti-bacterial material, and it should be impervious to both mildew and mold growth. This makes the liner a good choice for people who suffer from allergies or who have trouble breathing.
This liner comes with a weighted hem for increased stability, and grommets for easier mounting. The liner is easy to clean and maintain, and you can even wash it in an automated machine for a more thorough cleaning.
- Machine Washable – This shower liner can be machine washed, so you don’t have to waste too much time cleaning it. You can use water for everyday cleaning, and wash it in a machine once in a while to extend its life period.
- Metal Grommets – The liner has high-quality metal grommets on the top hem for increased ripping protection. The grommets are made out of rustproof metal, so they will last a long time.
- 70 inches – Even though the product is advertised as being 72 inches long, it has a length of only 70 inches. This might be a problem for some people.
Epica Shower Curtain Liner
- ●A FRESHER SHOWER, EVERY TIME | FIGHT ODOR AND STAINS: Relax and enjoy your shower! Unlike other shower liners, Epica only chooses premium material that can stand wet environments and come out pretty. Our liners have been specially treated to be resistant to stains and odors.
- ●STYLE, MEET PRACTICALITY: Epica Shower Curtain Liners don’t just resist odors and stains better than any other liner. They also look really, really good doing it.
- ●REINFORCED NYLON MESH HEADER WITH RUST-PROOF METAL GROMMETS: Your curtain eyelets will never tear because Epica uses metal grommets and a nylon mesh header for extra strength and durability.
One of the best-rated shower curtain liners, this model is made out of high-quality materials which will keep the water inside your shower while stopping and preventing the growth of mold and mildew.
The heavy-duty vinyl liner has enough weight on its own to maintain its position and not be moved by drafts. This liner is treated to resist the growth of mold and mildew-forming bacteria for up to 15 months, but you can use it for longer if you clean it regularly.
The soap and water stains are easy to clean, and you only need a damp rag to do it.
- 100% Risk-free Warranty – This warranty covers your expenses if the shower liner tears, rips, or doesn’t perform as it should. This includes but it’s not limited to preventing mold and mildew from growing in the first two years of usage
- Reinforced Mesh Header – The shower curtain liner is made out of vinyl, but the header is made out of reinforced mesh for increased ripping protection
- Vinyl – While vinyl is a durable material, it is not as environmentally friendly as other fabrics. This shower liner is more dangerous to the environment than other models.
Maytex Fabric Shower Liner
This shower curtain liner is made out of 100% polyester, and it’s capable of repelling water and drying quickly. One of the advantages of using this kind of fabric for your shower liners is that you can wash it in your washing machine.
The shower liner has a durable design and comes with a reinforced top hem. All the holes are sewn for increased durability, and the bottom hem is weighted with magnets, making it draft resistant.
The liner is easy to clean and maintain. You don’t have to wash it every shower. Instead, just open it to its full length so it can dry properly and wash it every two weeks in an automatic machine.
- Fabric Liner – Unlike other shower curtain liners, this model is made out of polyester. Polyester is easier to clean and maintain, and it has a nicer appearance than plastic models.
- Durable – Plastic shower liners have to be changed periodically, no matter how good they are. If you wash this shower liner periodically, it will look as good as new for a longer period of time.
- No Metal Grommets – Even though the sewn buttonholes are high-quality, metal grommets would have been better.
Maytex Microfiber Shower Liner
This is a high-quality fabric shower curtain liner. The liner is made out of 100% polyester microfiber, a soft material that is water-repellent.
The top hem of the shower liner is reinforced and comes with metal grommets. The grommets are made out of rustproof metal, and they provide increased durability. The grommets are also effective at protecting the shower liner from tearing and ripping when it’s pulled on the rings.
The microfiber material is machine washable, so it’s easy to clean and maintain. It’s recommended that you wash the fabric at least once every month to increase its life period.
- Super Soft – This material is super soft and it’s nice to the touch. You can use this product as a shower curtain liner, or you can even use it as a shower curtain by itself.
- Weighted Magnetic Hem – The weighted hem will keep the shower liner close to the tub or shower. This will prevent it from being moved by drafts or air currents.
- No Front Or Back Tag – This product does not come with a front or a back tag, which is a disadvantage. If you install the shower liner with the wrong face towards the shower, the water can slowly penetrate it.
Shower Curtain Liner Buying Guide
Using a shower curtain liner is a necessity if you don’t have shower screens. They keep the water from splashing on your bathroom floor, and they also protect the shower curtains. But how do you choose a shower curtain liner? The following section will explain all you need to know.
Types Of Shower Curtain Liners
Shower curtain liners can be sorted depending on the material used for their production. Here is a list of the main types of liners you’ll find.
- PVC Vinyl Liners – These liners are no longer popular because of their plastic smell and because they’re not environmentally friendly. Vinyl liners have been used for decades, and you can still find manufacturers using this material. They are efficient at keeping the water within a perimeter, and they do not allow mildew or mold to form on their surface.
The disadvantage of using this type of material for your shower curtain liners is that they are toxic to you and the environment. The plastic smell they produce when you open a new package is actually harmful gas leftovers which can cause liver and neurological damage. Vinyl is also not biologically degradable, so it will end up staying in a landfill for a lot of years unless it’s disposed of properly.
- EVA And PEVA Liners – Both of these materials contain vinyl, but unlike the one used in PVC, this vinyl has a lower carbon footprint and it’s biodegradable. Neither EVA or PEVA plastic materials are developed using toxic chemicals, so they are safe to use. Both materials are waterproof and bacterial-resistant, so they will stop mold and mildew growth.
- Synthetic Fabric Liners – These liners are usually made out of polyester, but they can also be produced from nylon. They are easy to clean and maintain, and they look better than plastic liners. One of the advantages of using synthetic fabric liners is that you can machine wash them once or twice every month and prolong their lifespan. These fabrics are water repellent, so only a small quantity of water will be able to penetrate the weave, but not enough to drip on your floor tiles after your shower. They have antibacterial properties, so you don’t have to worry about mold and mildew. They are also more environmentally friendly than plastic.
Most manufacturers recommend opening the liners at their full length after each shower, so the moisture inside the fibers can evaporate. This will keep the weave from staining and protect the liner.
- Natural Fabric Liners – Even though natural fabrics will absorb more water than their synthetic counterparts, some people choose to use them because they’re more environmentally friendly than other materials. However, if you use shower curtain liners made out of cotton or hemp, you have to protect them with a water-repellent spray from time to time, or they will deteriorate quickly.
These fabrics are usually thicker than synthetic materials, so they won’t move any time there’s a draft in the bathroom. Cleaning these fabrics is easy, you just have to wash them from time to time. The hard part is maintaining them. You have to make sure they dry properly after each shower, otherwise, they will shrink dramatically. If you don’t treat them with a water-repellent substance, they can become incubators for mold and mildew, posing a real threat to your health.
Things You Should Consider Before Buying a Shower Curtain Liner
There are several things you should consider before deciding to buy a shower curtain liner, so you can be sure you make the right choice.
- What Shower Curtain Are You Using It With?
The shower curtain you’re using is very important because it affects a lot of different factors.
- Light – Most people think that the most important factor when buying a shower curtain liner is that it will match the curtains, but that’s not true. The most important factor is light.
Just like shower curtains, shower curtain liners come in multiple colors and different patterns, even though these are generally fewer. This is important because if your shower curtain is dark and the liner also blocks out the light, you will end up washing in almost complete darkness.
The best thing to do is to choose a transparent or white shower liner if your bathroom is not illuminated brightly or if you have a dark shower curtain. If your bathroom has adequate lighting and the shower curtains are light-colored, you can choose whatever color you want.
- Matching The Curtain With The Liner – Many people believe it’s important to match the colors of shower curtains with the liners, but that’s not actually true. The liner can be white or transparent if your shower curtain already matches the rest of your bathroom, but you can use different colors for the curtain and the liner as long as they blend in with the room’s aspect.
- How Often Do You Clean It? – It’s important to think about how often you’re willing to clean the shower curtain liner before you buy one. If you’re a very busy person and you don’t have time to clean, a low-maintenance choice would be better. This means it would be better for you to buy a shower liner made out of plastic or synthetic fabric than to buy a natural fabric model.
If on the other hand, you prefer having a shower that will complement your curtains, no matter how often you have to clean it, you could go with a natural fabric liner. These models have a high maintenance, but they will give your bathroom a more stylish look.
- Is The Curtain Liner a Necessity Or Not?
If your shower curtains are made out of natural or organic fabrics, a shower curtain liner is a necessity. It will protect the curtain from the water, extending its lifespan. It will also make your life easier by stopping the water from spilling on the floor tiles.
If your shower curtains are produced from synthetic fibers, a shower curtain liner is not very important. These fabrics can repel the water on their own, block mold and mildew formation, and they are easy to clean and maintain.
If your shower curtain is made out of plastic or vinyl, a shower curtain is not needed. The curtain acts as a shower curtain and liner at the same time, so there’s no need to spend extra money on an additional liner you won’t actually put to use.
What Shower Curtain Liner Features And Accessories You Should Look For
Many manufacturers produce various accessories for their shower curtain liners, but do you actually need them? Read the following list to find out which features and accessories will actually be of use.
- Reinforced Top Hem – Having reinforced hems will protect the shower liner from rips and tears. A reinforced top hem will add resistance to the material so it won’t tear as you pull it.
- Weighted Bottom Hem – Having a weighted bottom hem is important because it will keep the shower liner from moving any time there’s a draft in the bathroom, or if the air’s circulation pushes the liner towards the shower. Magnets or suction cups can be used to weigh the bottom hem down. Both options are good, as the magnets will stick to the shower’s bottom or to the tub, and the suction cups can keep the liner from moving by attaching to the wall.
- Reinforced Holes – The mounting holes of a shower liner can be considered its weakest spot. They are prone to ripping and tearing on the hanging rings, so reinforced holes are an advantage. These holes are reinforced by sewing, much like the buttonholes in a shirt.
- Grommets – There is another option to protect the liner’s holes, and this one can even be better. Plastic or metal grommets can be inserted into the holes to protect them from ripping. The mounting rings come in contact with the grommets instead of the liner itself, lowering the chances of it tearing when you pull it on the rail
- Shower Rings – No matter how good a shower curtain liner is, it’s pretty useless if you can’t hang it on a rail. The shower rings will help with that. Some shower liners come with their own rings, but some don’t so make sure you read the product description before ordering one.
What’s The Best Color For A Shower Curtain Liner?
There is no definitive answer to this question, but most of the best-selling models are either transparent or white. The reason behind these colors is that they don’t block the light. Most people who use a shower liner behind a shower curtain have already decided on the color and pattern of the curtain, and the liner is bought just for practical reasons.
However, shower curtain liners are now produced in a lot of different colors and with intricate and detailed patterns, so you can use them directly as a shower curtain if you wish.
How To Clean And Maintain Your Shower Curtain Liner
Cleaning and maintaining your shower curtain liner is not difficult, but it’s done differently depending on its material
- Vinyl – Is very easy to clean and maintain. You just need to wash it with water or a damp rug from time to time. You shouldn’t machine wash or iron it.
- EVA and PEVA – They can be washed with water or a clean damp cloth. Some models are machine washable.
- Synthetic Fabrics – These fabrics are machine washable, and you should wash them from time to time. It’s recommended you leave them extended after each shower so the moisture can dry quickly
- Natural Fabrics – These fabrics are machine washable, and you should wash them periodically. You should let them dry very well after each shower, and you should treat them with water-repellent substances. If you leave them wet, they can shrink in time.
We’re certain that after reading our comprehensive buying guide you are now able to make an informed decision on how to choose the best shower curtain liner for your bathroom. Whether you’re looking for plastic, synthetic, or natural fabric liner, we explained all the advantages and disadvantages of using them.
As you could see in the previous article, buying a shower liner is not always just a matter of taste, it’s also a matter of necessity. The liners can be used to stop the water from spilling on the floor and stop mold and mildew from forming, but they can also be used to match certain elements of your bathroom.
A good shower curtain liner can be used on its own as a shadow curtain, as well. New models aren’t necessarily bland and boring. Some of them are made out of synthetic fabrics with intricate weaves, and some are made out of plastic but have a great designs.